• 3 ½ Cups of Water
• 1 x Onion – Roughly Chopped
• 1 x Pepper – Roughly Chopped
• 1 Tablespoon Chilli Power – Make it as hot (or not) as you like!
• 1 ½ cups dried brown or green Lentils (they cook brown, the ones in the photo are green lentils)
• 1 x Tin of Chopped Tomatoes
• 2 x Tablespoons of Soy Sauce
• 2 x Tablespoons of Brown Sugar
• 1 x Teaspoon of Rice Vinegar
• 1 x Teaspoon of Vegan Worcester Sauce (Don’t worry if you don’t have this though)
• Vegan Stock
1. Boil the kettle. Read the instructions on your stock to see how much you need then add it to the 3 ½ Cups of Water (Once the kettles boiled of course..)
2. Place one third of a cup of the stock mix into a fairly large pot. Add the onions and pepper and cook, stirring occasionally until onions soften slightly, about 5 minutes.
3. Add the chili powder and mix in well. Keep stirring at this point, cook for maybe 2 mins. Add a little more stock juice if you need to.
4. Add all of the remaining stock mix, lentils, tomatoes, and the rest of the ingredients. Mix really well, bring to a boil then reduce the heat to minimum, cover and cook over for one hour, stirring maybe every 15 minutes. After 45 minutes start tasting. It may not take an hour. These ones took 55 mins and were perfect.
5. Serve with brown rice and if possible some spinach or other greens, optionally sprinkle with Pumpkin and Sunflower seeds because they are so good for you.