Ingredients – This will make 6-8 cakes depending how big you make them.
• 2-3 potatoes depending on size. 2 big ones or 3 medium sized, grated.
• 1 x medium sized onion, grated. Spring onions will also work.
• Onions could be replaced by carrots, courgette or both, or all three!! Grated. Just make sure the total amount of whatever you choose to put in is about the size of a medium onion.
• 1 x tablespoon fresh parsley finely chopped or minced.
• 2 x cloves of garlic, minced, crushed, whatever.
• 1/3 cup of flour. I use gram (chickpea) flour for pretty much everything but you can use regular flour.
• 1/2 teaspoon baking powder.
• 1 teaspoon salt.
• 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper.
• 1 x teaspoon dried mixed herbs, sprinkled !
• Fresh chilli to taste, chopped and optional.
1. Grate the potatoes and with your hands squeeze out as much of the liquid as you can. If you’re adding carrot or courgette do the same with these. Once you’ve got rid of the liquid, put the potatoes, onions, carrot, courgette in a large bowl. Add the rest of the ingredients and mix. I find getting my hands into the bowl mixes it the best.
2. Heat some oil in a pan, shape the cakes however you want and fry them for approx 10 mins turning every now and then. If you want to crisp them up a little and heat them right through (although they’re fine straight out of the pan) stick them in the oven for 10 mins once their cooked.
3. And it really is that simple. I like them for breakfast with a little fried tempeh (cook this with paprika), some fried tomatoes, mushrooms and baked beans. Vegan style Full English !!!